Archive for July, 2009

Faces 13


Faces 13

Still related to panacea, but at least not one of the comic pages. I thought I could use a bit of practice on the characters, so I did some quick sketches of the faces of the main characters… actually, two still missing here. I hope to get those “sketched up” soon.

A great find – page 2 (4)


Panacea - A great find page 2

Nearly finished the sketching part of page 2. Basically only the details left to fill in.

Lessons learned


With one page done and well underway with the second, this has already been a nice learning experience. Some points:

  • Pay more attention to the trees. With the colouring they turned out ok, but the detailing of the leaves could be a lot better.
  • Also, this story is supposed to take place high in the mountains, I probably should have gone with firs or pine like trees.
  • I should have a better look at the shape of the rocks. Take (water)erosion into account when creating the shapes.
  • I need to pay more attention to the thumbnailing of the page to prevent shifting the frames around later on.
  • The layout of the area in which the scene takes place is something I completely forgot. Which direction is Sila (the main character) walking, where does she trip and which rocks are in the river… The various rocks you see right now in the backgrounds are not consistent.

A great find – page 2 (3)


Panacea - A great find page 2

I didn’t really get around to doing anything other than work and slacking of the last week. So “nothing completely different” but rather page 2 of the story. Rearranged the last images to their orginal position, more or less and got some work done on the backgrounds and detailing of the characters.

A great find – page 1 (final)


Panacea - A great find page 1

Well…. it took some time, but it’s finally done. And with that last push to get it finished I am totally fed up with this page. I think I will work on something completely different next week before I continue with page 2.

Comparing colours


Panacea - A great find page 1

This page is gonna kill me, still not finished. If anything it is a test, so I keep on changing and redoing things to see what works best. But that does mean it takes me even longer than usual to finish it.

Right now (even though I haven’t coloured everything yet) I’m trying out some effects on the page. On the left is the original, on the right the adjusted version. I’ve added some adjustment layers to the right one: desaturating the colours adding a papertexture and a bit more of a sepia tone. I think it does look better, but I’m afraid you do loose some of the details in the drawings.

Keep on tweaking!